Current Student Requirements
Disclosure of offenses post-background check completion:
Current VUSN students (includes full & part-time students) are required to immediately report to their Faculty Advisor and Linda Norman, Senior Associate Dean for Academics any arrest, criminal charge or conviction occurring after his or her background check has been completed. Required disclosure also includes but is not limited to; allegations, investigations and/or disciplinary action from any licensing board or agency included under the Nationwide Healthcare Fraud and Abuse scan; Office of Inspector General (OIG), General Services Administration (GSA), FDA Debarment Check, Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Research Integrity (ORI), and Medicare and Medicaid Sanctions.
Maintaining Immunization & Certification Requirements:
Continuing Pre-specialty, HSM, MSN and Postmaster's Certificate students must maintain current documentation within their Student Immunization Tracker throughout enrollment. The Tracker's annual fee is $20.00, you will be prompted when payment is to be submitted. Students are required to update the following date dependent documentation in their Tracker when due:
- Current health insurance coverage either through the university insurance plan or by another policy. For more information on the student health insurance visit: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/student_health/student-health-insurance Health Insurance is required of all students by Vanderbilt University. Clinical sites also require that you have health insurance to cover any illness or injury that you may incur during your clinical training experience.
- Negative results of annual tuberculin skin test or a clear chest X-ray within past year. If positive, medical evaluation and documentation of a clear chest x-ray within 1 year of admission to VUSN and annual completion of the Annual Past-Positive TB Screening Form confirming the absence of symptoms by a MD or NP. If there is evidence of a positive chest x-ray and/or symptoms of TB, please follow-up for medical evaluation.
- Current CPR certification for adult, child, and infant (Vanderbilt accepts only American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for the Healthcare Provider cards.) See attached for CPR Training Information
- HIPAA & OSHA Safety Training: This is required annual training. Additional training may be required for particular sites. Instructions for accessing and completing the training will be emailed to your Vanderbilt account in mid-August
- Copy of an unencumbered Registered Nurse’s license in the state(s) where you will be doing clinical training (if applicable). In addition, DNP students must have Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) designation in their home state or equivalent and national board certification in their area of specialty as appropriate.
- Influenza:1 dose of TIV (trivalent) or LAIV (live attenuated) annual vaccination (highly recommended) OR sign waiver to decline seasonal flu vaccine. Please note - many clinical agencies are requiring evidence of annual vaccination or the wearing of a mask during flu season.
Due to certain restrictions, VUSN is not able to accommodate clinical placements in all locations. Please check with the placement office.
Students should be aware that some clinical sites may require additional immunizations and/or blood titers, drug screening, or additional criminal background checks. The immunizations and titers can be done at Student Health http://www.vanderbilt.edu/student_health/ once enrolled. If you plan to use Student Health please call to schedule an appointment at (615) 322-2427; take a copy of your health questionnaire and any required documentation with you. Students will be responsible for the charges incurred in order to meet clinical site requirements.