Current Student Requirements
Disclosure of offenses post-background check completion:
Current full & part-time VUSN students are required to immediately report to their Faculty Advisor and the Senior Associate Dean for Academics any arrest, criminal charge or conviction occurring after his or her background check has been completed. Required disclosure also includes but is not limited to; allegations, investigations and/or disciplinary action from any licensing board or agency included under the Nationwide Healthcare Fraud and Abuse scan; Office of Inspector General (OIG), General Services Administration (GSA), FDA Debarment Check, Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Research Integrity (ORI), and Medicare and Medicaid Sanctions.
Maintaining Health Insurance, Immunization & Certification Requirements:
All continuing full & part-time students must maintain current documentation within the online program myCB (formerly Certified Profile) throughout enrollment. There is an annual fee of $20 for students who originated with the Magnus Immunization Tracker. Students are required to update the following date dependent documentation in the online program myCB when due:
- Current health insurance coverage either through the university insurance plan or by another policy. For more information on the student health insurance visit: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/student_health/student-health-insurance. Health Insurance is required of all students by Vanderbilt University. Clinical sites require the student have health insurance to cover any illness or injury that he or she may incur during their clinical training experience.
- Negative results of annual tuberculin skin test. If positive, medical evaluation and documentation of a clear chest x-ray within 1 year of admission to VUSN and annual completion of the ‘Annual Past-Positive TB Screening’ form (Form available at myCB) confirming the absence of symptoms by a MD, NP or PA.
Current CPR certification. for adult, child, and infant. Vanderbilt accepts only American Heart Association (AHA) BLS for the Healthcare Provider cards. Additional CPR certifications may be required by specialty. Find a Course.
- HIPAA & OSHA Safety Training is required annually. Additional training may be required for particular clinical sites. Instructions for accessing and completing the training will be emailed to the student’s Vanderbilt account in mid-August.
- Copy of an unencumbered Registered Nurse’s license in the state(s) where the student will be doing clinical training (if applicable).
- Influenza: Annual flu vaccination is required or an approved exemption through Vanderbilt’s Executive Influenza Exemption Committee. Exemptions are allowed for sincerely held religious and personal beliefs, and for medical contraindications such as a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) or history of Guillain-Barre syndrome following a previous influenza vaccine. Documentation from medical provider will be required. (Note: minor side effects, such as low grade fever, cold symptoms, or muscle aches are not a medical contraindication to vaccination.) Exemptions must be applied for prior to each flu season. Beliefs may change over time, medical conditions change, and new types of vaccine become available. For information on how to apply for an exemption contact: Lisa.Boyer@Vanderbilt.edu or call (615) 343-3294.
The student should be aware that some clinical sites may require additional immunizations and/or blood titers, drug screening, or additional criminal background checks. Students can complete additional immunizations and titers at Student Health http://www.vanderbilt.edu/student_health/. Call Student Health, at 615. 322.2427 to schedule an appointment. The student should bring a copy of their ‘Health Questionnaire’ form and any required documentation to the appointment. Students will be responsible for all charges incurred in order to meet clinical site requirements.
Due to certain restrictions, VUSN is not able to accommodate clinical placements in all locations. Please check with the placement office.
Student Requirements When Returning from Leave of Absence Or Deferral
Any VUSN student (includes full- and part-time students) who completed a background check through Certified Background/Castle Branch but had a break in enrollment, including a deferral or leave of absence, must complete a new background check no more than 30 days prior to return. Enter package code VA14bc in the “Place Order” box on the myCB homepage.