Flexible Education Formats
Vanderbilt University School of Nursing(VUSN) uses state-of-the art online and distance technologies and techniques to enrich student learning experience for all programs. Courses and education formats vary among the various degree programs and advanced practice specialties offered at (VUSN). Visit the page of your program of interest for further details regarding the program schedule and whether RN work experience is required.
Depending on the program, there may be short periods of time required on campus. For example, the DNP and PhD programs require a 1 week intensive at the beginning of each semester.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- PhD in Nursing Science
- MSN in Healthcare Leadership (100% on-line)
- Nursing Informatics
Courses are offered in concentrated blocks of time on campus. The frequency, length, and days of the week vary among specialties. Students are not required to live in middle Tennessee. Due to State Boards of Nursing and/or State Higher Educational rules, the School may not be able to provide clinical placements in your location of choice, but every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate your placement request.
- RN Pre-specialty Year (2 semesters) for ASN and Diploma RNs
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - RN experience required
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Emergency Nurse Practitioner - RN experience in ED required
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Family)– RN experience required
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner – RN experience in NICU required
- Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner – Pediatric RN experience required
- Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
- Women’s Health NP/Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP Dual Focus
Each semester in the program is different. As a general rule, the semester starts with several days a week on campus and ends with clinical practice in a distance location. Students use technology for course work and maintain frequent contact with faculty.
- Nurse-Midwifery/ Family Nurse Practitioner
Classes are on campus and clinical work is local.
- Pre-specialty Year– first 3 semesters for all who enter without RN license
- Specialty Year for entry without RN experience
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Intensivist focus
- Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Family