The PhD in Nursing Science Program offers several entry options:
- Traditional Entry - designed for students with a bachelor's degree in nursing (or BSN equivalent) and a master's in nursing (or a related field)
- Fast Track Entry - designed for students currently enrolled in VUSN MSN Program (e.g., VUSN students in their MSN pre-specialty year or specialty year). Students can simultaneously apply to the MSN and PhD programs. Applicants must meet entry criteria of both programs and successfully complete requirements for both programs to earn each degree.
Regardless of the entry option or study track, the total credits required for graduation remain the same.
The Fast Track entry option to the PhD in Nursing Science Program is open to students applying to the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program or currently enrolled in the MSN program. It can provide students with seamless progression through their graduate studies. Students at the MSN level receive enhanced research opportunities and mentored experiences that provide them a jumpstart on their research careers. The Fast Track entry option to the PhD in Nursing Science Program is designed to:
- Accelerate the traditional PhD degree timeline while meeting all requirements for both the VUSN MSN and PhD programs
- Engage students in MSN level course seminars designed specifically for students with a goal of doctoral education
- Provide mentorship and advisement via faculty advisors from MSN and PhD programs
- Apply some MSN courses directly toward the PhD degree
Interested applicants may simultaneously apply to the VUSN MSN and PhD programs. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements for both programs and be admitted to both programs. Admission is competitive and students are selected on the basis of their scholastic preparation and intellectual capacity. Admission to our program also requires research and career goals that are consistent with the school's research foci and faculty expertise.