Admitted DNP Students
Dates of Required On-Campus Intensive Sessions for 2013-14
August 26-30, 2013
January 13-16, 2014
May 5-8, 2014
We are delighted to welcome you to the DNP Program at Vanderbilt University. We are eagerly anticipating your arrival and making preparations for the fall academic semester. We realize the first time through any process can be exciting, interesting and challenging. Our goal is to help you through the transition of becoming a doctoral student and provide the necessary assistance as you become a member of our community of scholars.
- Registration: You will be automatically registered for fall core courses (first semester only). Once you have discussed your program of study with your academic advisor you may register for any elective courses your advisor has approved. Academic advisors will be assigned several weeks prior to the fall block (August 26-30, 2013). Please contact Logan Key, VUSN Registrar, to request registration for any courses outside the normal program of study.
- Programs of Study
ID Card: We will allow time during the 1st block for you to obtain a student identification card. You must bring a photo ID such as your driver’s license or passport to the August block.
- Criminal Background Check: Upon acceptance, all entering students must complete a background check through Certified Background. Please follow the directions below and use the code provided. Enrollment is contingent upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of the background check.
Disclosure of offenses post-background check completion: Current VUSN students (includes full & part-time students) are required to immediately report to their Faculty Advisor and the Senior Associate Dean for Academics any arrest, criminal charge or conviction occurring after his or her background check has been completed. Required disclosure also includes but is not limited to; allegations, investigations and/or disciplinary action from any licensing board or agency included under the Nationwide Healthcare Fraud and Abuse scan; Office of Inspector General (OIG), General Services Administration (GSA), FDA Debarment Check, Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Research Integrity (ORI), and Medicare and Medicaid Sanctions.
- Go to www.CertifiedBackground.com Do not complete background check more than 3 months prior to orientation.
- DNP students enter package code: VA14bc
- Enter your payment information – Visa, Master Card (credit or debit), or money order mailed to Certified Background (NOTE: there is a processing fee for this service). Follow the online instructions to complete your order.
Review and complete: DNP Student Medical & Health Requirements Checklist available at: http://www.nursing.vanderbilt.edu/clinicalplacement/PDF/clinicalreq_cklst_dnp.pdf
- Activate your VUnet ID
- Tuition & Financial Aid
DNP Tuition and Fees
- Received the Financial Aid Packet from the VUSN Student Financial Services Office. If you have not received the forms, please call Kristie Smith at 615.322.8986.
- Submit the Vanderbilt University Graduate Financial Aid and Scholarship Application; available on-line:
- File the 2013-2014 FAFSA; available on-line: (www.fafsa.ed.gov; School Code: 003535
- Receive financial aid award letter (if applicable) from the VUSN Student Financial Services Office during the 4th week of April. Once you receive the financial aid award letter, please follow all instructions for completing loan applications.
If you are a Vanderbilt employee and are interested in the Tuition Reimbursement Program, vist the Vanderbilt Tuition Assistance Program page.
- Housing: As you are only required to be on campus three times per academic year (block weeks), on-campus housing is not available for DNP students. Please click the links below for hotel accommodations and alternative housing sources for local students
Hotel AccommodationsHousing AccommodationsVanderbilt’s off campus referral service
www.vanderbilt.edu/ResEd - Once at this page go to: Off Campus Referral Service under Housing Assignment, View Listings, Read disclaimer, choose Agree, Temporary User Name = VUSN, Temporary Password = MSNRN, Login
Facebook Group = Vanderbilt School of Nursing – Roommate Search
Apartment Selector – Free Locating Service
http://www.aptselector.com/nashville/agents/3834/Lori/Koogler Contact = Lori Koogler, firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.394.2736
Craigslist - http://nashville.craigslist.org/
Vanderbilt MyVU Classified Ads - http://www.vanderbilt.edu/classifieds/
Apartment Guide - http://www.apartmentguide.com/
Apartment Finder - http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Tennessee/Nashville
A comprehensive database of apartment ratings and reviews, find out what tenants say BEFORE you sign a lease. www.apartmentratings.com
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce – Getting Established
Students who will be on campus during the required face-to-face block sessions and need a parking space have the following options:
25th Ave. Garage
On the corner of 25th Ave. and Highland Ave. – please use Highland Ave. entrance only
Terrace Place Garage
On the corner of 21st Ave. and Terrace Place
Wesley Place Garage
On the corner of 21st Ave. and Scarritt Place
Kensington Place Garage
On the corner of 25th Ave. and Kensington Place
The daily rate is $10.00. The most convenient garage would be Wesley Place Garage since it is located across the street from the School of Nursing. Students will not be able to receive a receipt at the garage when you use the coin boxes. Additional assistance or questions should be directed to: (615) 259-3898.
Here is a link to campus parking maps: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/traffic_parking/maps/parking.php
Students who live nearby and plan on using the resources available at Vanderbilt beyond the face-to-face block sessions may purchase a regular week-day parking permit from VUMC Parking Facilities located on the ground level in the VUH Garage across from the hospital (615-936-1215). All VUSN students purchasing parking permits are required to park in the 25th Avenue Garage located at the corner of 25th & Highland Avenue. Students need to present their VUMC ID, and current state vehicle registration certificate when registering.
- Technology Requirements
- Technology Letter
- Technology Overview
- Program Technology Requirements
Required for DNP:
- USB Headphones/Mic
- Scopia (free software)
- Microsoft Lync (free software)
- Windows OS
Recommended but not required for DNP:
- Transfer Credit: In addition to official transcripts submitted with your original application to the DNP program, you must also submit the syllabus for each previously completed course for which you are requesting transfer credits. Each request must be reviewed and approved by course faculty and program leadership. Students may transfer a maximum of 6 semester credit hours.
- Honor Code Information and Plagiarism Tutorial (required: ) Please complete the tutorial prior to orientation and print out the certificate of completion from the test at the end of the tutorial. Bring this certificate with you to orientation.
- Academic Calendar
- Faculty Advisors: You will receive an email in July with the name of your faculty advisor. All students are assigned a faculty advisor who is responsible for assisting students in developing an appropriate program of study and scholarly project, assisting in the identification of project committee members and general mentoring throughout the educational experience. We will set time aside during the 1st block/student orientation for you to meet individually with your advisor. It is your responsibility to schedule a meeting with your advisor that week. The agenda (available mid-late July) will list specific days and times that you may choose from.
- Student Activity and Recreation Fee Waivers: The Office of Student Accounts bills all students for activity and recreation fees. However, you will be granted a waiver if: (1) you are a part-time student enrolled in four or fewer credit hours, or (2) you are a student residing outside a sixty-mile radius of the Vanderbilt Campus. To complete your waiver request, please go to:
- Textbooks Updated 7/18/13
- Dates of Required On-Campus Intensive Sessions for 2013-14
- DNP Intensive Schedule
Fall 2013: August 26-30
Spring 2014: January 13-16
Summer 2014: May 5-6
- DNP Intensive Schedule Updated 7/19/2013
- DNP 2013 Fall Electives - Updated 7/13/2013
- Wireless Configuration at Vanderbilt
- Wireless configuration for Windows devices
- Wireless configuration for Droid devices
- Find the wireless network icon on your computer you'll find an icon that looks like a wireless symbol in the top right. You must be onsite for this stage.
- View available wi-fi networks
- Select: PatientCare3
- Enter the security key -- You'll be prompted to enter the following credentials:
- Format for Username: vanderbilt + back slash + vunetid
Password: Your VUNET ID password
- You may be prompted with a Certificate page which you have to Accept to complete the connection.
to Blackboard - Updated 7/11/2013 - 11:28 AM
We have created a small course to give you experience using OAK (Blackboard) before you arrive on campus. Most of your courses will use Blackboard to deliver a course syllabus, media links, handouts and other learning materials.
VUNet ID required.