Application and Deadlines
Faculty review of applications begins when all components of your application are completed. All of the following components must be finished in order to consider your application complete:
- The online application form
- Three letters of recommendation describing your aptitude for doctoral study from PhD prepared individuals
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official report of GRE scores (taken within the last 5 years)
- Unofficial copy of transcripts from prior undergraduate and graduate work
Official transcripts are required only after an offer of admission is made and accepted. Do NOT send your transcripts by mail. This will delay the review of your application. We will request your official transcripts only if an offer of admission is extended to you.
Unofficial transcripts must be part of your application even if you are a former VUSN graduate or applied to another VU program.
- Essay describing your professional career goals, research interests, research experiences and potential faculty mentors
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score if you do not have a degree from an English-speaking university.
Scores should be less than two years old. The minimum acceptable score is 81 on the Internet-based test or 620 on the paper-based test.
See Preparing Your Application for specific details about each of the required components listed above.
After the faculty review your completed application, you may be asked to interview. If you are, interviews are required and can be conducted in-person or via Skype. In the event an applicant cannot travel to Vanderbilt or is unable to use Skype, a telephone interview will be scheduled.
Completed applications received by December 1 will be considered for all financial awards including:
Graduate School Honor Fellowships
- Harold Stirling Vanderbilt Graduate Scholarships
- University Graduate Fellowships
Vanderbilt School of Nursing Awards
- VUSN Service-Free Tuition Scholarships
- Centennial Ph.D. Fellowships
Completed applications received after December 1 and no later than the deadline of March 1 will be considered for fall admission and School of Nursing financial awards as they are available.
Applicants to Vanderbilt's PhD in Nursing Science Program who have applied three times to the program without an offer of admission will not be allowed to apply to the program again.