Spotlight on Our PhD Students
The PhD in Nursing Science Program at Vanderbilt is committed to academic excellence. We prepare our students for intellectually rewarding academic and research careers. Our students engage in a variety of scholarly activities and collaborate with faculty in nursing and other disciplines. Through mentorship and collaboration, our students learn critical skills and gain the knowledge they need for a successful and productive career in nursing.
- Publication: Jackson, J., Santoro, M., Ely, T., Boehm, L., Kiehl, A., Anderson, L., Ely, E. (2014). Improving patient care through the prism of psychology: application of Maslow's hierarchy to sedation, delirium, and early mobility in the intensive care unit. Journal of Critical Care, 29(3): 438-444.
- Workshop: Boehm, L. Implementation of the guidelines for pain, agitation, and delirium in critical care. Grady Hospital, Atlanta, GA, Jan 2014.
- Workshop: Boehm, L. Implementation of the guidelines for pain, agitation, and delirium in critical care. Saint Claire Regional Medical Center, Morehead, KY, March 2014.
- Invited address and/or keynote: Boehm, L. Pain, agitation, and delirium: New guidelines for critically ill adults. American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Cookeville, TN, April 2014.
- Workshop: Boehm, L. Implementation of the guidelines for pain, agitation, and delirium in critical care. Eisenhower Medical Center, Rancho Mirage, CA, April 2014.
- Webinar: Freed, G., Martyn, K., VanCleve, S., Hittle, K., Staebler, S. Variations in the NP workforce pipeline: Important differences by specialty. American Association of Colleges of Nursing, April 2014.
- Award: Purdue University School of Nursing Golden Graduate, West Lafayette, IN, April 2014.
- Award: Reviewer of the Year. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health, April 2014.
- Recipient of the VUSN Dean’s Award for PhD Student Excellence in Writing: Jeffery, A., Pickler, R. (2014). Barriers to Nurses’ Adherence to Central Venous Catheter Guidelines. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(7/8), In-Press.
- Publication: Kramer, C. & Jeffery, A.D. Pancreatitis in Children. Critical Care Nurse, 34(4), 43-53.
- Publication: Jeffery, A., Jarvis, R. (2014). Staff Educator's Guide to Clinical Orientation: Onboarding Solutions for Nurses. Sigma Theta Tau International, Indianapolis, IN.
- Invited address and/or keynote: Dermenchyan, A., Jeffery, A.D. Professional networking for critical care nurses. American Association of Critical Care Nurses, Las Vegas, NV, April 2014.
- Panel Discussion: Christenbery, T., Bailey, J., Jeffery, A., Nash, R. Marketing and recruitment of men into Master's and Doctoral Programs. American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Nashville, TN, April 2014.
- Invited address and/or keynote: Johnson, S. Lung health in the cardiac patient. Mended Hearts Orlando, Orlando, FL, Jan 2014.
- Poster Presentation: Mickelson, R., Holden, R. Communicating across medication representations: Implications for the design of patient centered tools. American Nursing Informatics Association, Las Vegas, NV, March 2014.
- Poster Presentation: Meyer, H., Zust, B., Myers, L. Stadick, J. Sharing time and talents: Engaging ideas for nursing alumni. National Student Nurses Association, Nashville, TN, April 2014.
- Symposia: Myers, L., Meyer, H. Engaging students in research through an innovative summer institute. Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, March 2014.
- Symposia: Myers, L., Holmes, S. Early identification/intervention of child with developmental delays. Ridgeview Medical Center, Waconia, MN, Jan 2014.
- Symposia: Myers, L., Warner, K., Woods, A. Engaging students in pediatric nursing: Community service opportunities for PNPs. National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, Boston, MA, March 2014.
- Symposia: Myers, L., Adams, A., Braekkan, K. Make your life count: Community-Based learning in a liberal arts setting. Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, April 2014.
- Award: Minnesota Campus Compact Presidents' Civic Engagement Steward Award. Campus Compact, St. Paul, MN, April 2014.
Clinta Che Reed
- Paper: Reed, C. Nursing work and responses to interruptions: A pilot study. Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing. Conway, AR, April 2014.
- Poster Presentation: Skeens, M., Foster, T., Gilmer, M, Garee A., Miller A. Toward a better understanding of pediatric BMT adherence: An exploration of provider perceptions toward a better understanding of pediatric BMT adherence. American Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation, Dallas, TX, Feb 2014