Cathy A. Maxwell, PhD, RN
Current Research Interests
- Predictors of Outcomes for Hospitalized Injured Older Adults
- Pre-injury Cognition and Physical Function of Injured Older Adults
- Community-based Fall Prevention Strategies
- Early Mobilization Strategies for Older Adults
Research Funding/Funded Grants
|Principal Investigator, Vanderbilt CTSA grant UllTR000445 from NCATS/NIH:
The Impact of Hospitalized Inured Older Adults’ Pre-injury Impairments on Post-injury Mobilization and Outcomes. Budget: $5006.00
|09/2011- 12/2011||Principal Investigator, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing PhD Student Support Fund: Administratively-mediated Variables and Outcomes of Hospitalized Injured Older Adults. Budget: $954.00|
- Maxwell, CA, Mion, LC, Dietrich, MS, Fallon, WF, Minnick A (2014). Hospitals’ adoption of targeted cognitive and functional status quality indicators for vulnerable elders. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, April 8. [Epub ahead of print- PMID: 24717450]
- Maxwell, CA (2014). Availability of selected Institute of Medicine recommendations for geriatric care in hospitals providing care to injured older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 35(2 suppl): S27-31.
- Maxwell, CA (2013). Screening hospitalized injured older adults for cognitive impairments and pre-injury functional impairment. Applied Nursing Research, 26(3), 146-150.
- Maxwell, CA, Mion, LC, Minnick a (2013). Geriatric resources in acute care hospitals and trauma centers: A scarce commodity. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 39(12), 33-42.
- Maxwell, CA, Mion, LC, Dietrich, MS (2012). Hospitalized injured older adults: Clinical utility of a rib fracture scoring system. Journal of Trauma Nursing, 19(3), 167-173.
- Krau, SD, Maxwell, CA, Thibeau, S (2011). Creating a tool to evaluate patient performance. Nursing Clinics of North America, 46: 351-365.
- Maxwell, CA, Mion, LC (2011). Hospitalized injured older adults: A 21st century challenge. Geriatric Nursing, 32(2), 130-132.
- Maxwell, CA, Miller, RS, Dietrich, MS, Mion, LC, Minnick, A. The aging of America: A comprehensive look at over 25,000 geriatric trauma admissions to U.S. hospitals.
- Maxwell, CA, Mion, LC, Dietrich, MS, Minnick, A, Mukherjee, K, May, AK, Miller, RS. Feasibility of screening for pre-injury frailty in hospitalized injured older adults.
- Maxwell, CA, Rader, E, Fallon, WF (2014). Outcomes for surgical care in the elderly.
In Yellon, JA & Luchette, FA (Eds) Geriatric Trauma, Springer: New York. ISBN-10: 1461485002.
- Academy Health
- Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- Society of Trauma Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- American Geriatrics Society