Cathy A. Maxwell, PhD, RN
Current Research Interests
- Predictors of Outcomes for Hospitalized Injured Older Adults
- Cognitive and Physical Function Impairment in Injured Older Adults
- Early Mobilization Strategies for Older Adults
- Palliative Care for Injured Older Adults
Research Funding/Funded Grants
|Principal Investigator, Vanderbilt CTSA grant UllTR000445 from NCATS/NIH:
The Impact of Hospitalized Injured Older Adults’ Pre-injury Impairments on Post-injury Mobilization and Outcomes. Budget: $5006.00
|09/2011- 12/2011||Principal Investigator, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing PhD Student Support Fund: Administratively-mediated Variables and Outcomes of Hospitalized Injured Older Adults. Budget: $954.00|
Publications - Peer Reviewed
- Maxwell, C.A., Dietrich, M.S., Mion, L.C., Minnick, A. Pre-injury physical function of injured older adults: patient versus proxy responses. (Accepted for publication: Journal of the American Geriatrics Society).
- Maxwell, C.A., Mion, L.C., Mukherjee, K., Dietrich, M.S., Minnick, A., May, A., Miller, R.S. Feasibility of screening for pre-injury frailty in hospitalized injured older adults. (Accepted for publication: Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery).
- Maxwell, C.A., Miller, R.S., Dietrich, M.S., Fallon, W.F., Mion, L.C., Minnick, A. The aging of America: A comprehensive look at over 25,000 geriatric trauma admissions to U.S. hospitals. (Accepted for publication: American Surgeon).
- Maxwell, C.A., Mion, L.C., Dietrich, M.S., Fallon, W.F., Minnick, A. (2014). Hospitals’ adoption of targeted cognitive and functional status quality indicators for vulnerable elders. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 29(4), 354-362.
- Maxwell, C.A. (2014). Availability of selected Institute of Medicine recommendations for geriatric care in hospitals providing care to injured older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 35(2 Suppl): S27-31.
- Maxwell, C.A. (2013). Screening hospitalized injured older adults for cognitive impairment and pre-injury functional impairment. Applied Nursing Research, 26(3), 146-150.
- Maxwell, C.A., Mion, L.C., Minnick, A. (2013). Geriatric resources in acute care hospitals and trauma centers: A scarce commodity. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 39(12), 33-42.
- Maxwell, C.A., Mion, L.C., & Dietrich, M.S. (2012). Hospitalized injured older adults: Clinical utility of a rib fracture scoring system. Journal of Trauma Nursing, 19(3), 167-173.
- Krau, S.D., Maxwell, C.A., & Thibeau, S. (2011). Creating a tool to evaluate patient performance. Nursing Clinics of North America, 46: 351-365.
- Maxwell, C.A. & Mion, L.C. (2011). Hospitalized injured older adults: A 21st century challenge. Geriatric Nursing, 32(2), 130-132.
Publications - Invited Work
- Maxwell, C.A. (Invited manuscript- submission December 2014). Trauma in the Geriatric Population. In edition on Violence, War, and Traumatic Injury. Critical Care Nursing Clinics.
- Maxwell, CA, Rader, E, Fallon, WF (2014). Outcomes for surgical care in the elderly.
In Yellon, JA & Luchette, FA (Eds) Geriatric Trauma, Springer: New York. ISBN-10: 1461485002.
- Academy Health
- American Geriatrics Society
- Gerontological Society of American
- Southern Nursing Research Society
- Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- Society of Trauma Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau International