(Behind the scenes: Making this video)
Are you ready to help meet accelerating changes in health care through better nursing management across multiple settings and specialties? Do you want to build on your existing nursing experience and advance your career? It’s time to consider earning a Vanderbilt MSN degree in Healthcare Leadership through our e-Learning program.
What Will You Do as a Healthcare Leader?
The Healthcare Leadership program prepares graduates for the advanced role of nursing and health care management. This specialty is designed to prepare nurses at the graduate level to manage the delivery of nursing and health care services across the spectrum of health care settings. Graduates acquire the breadth of management knowledge and skills needed to perform effectively and assume leadership positions in health care delivery organizations. The Healthcare Leadership curriculum is offered in a full-time and a part-time, online format. Students may enter the part-time program during any semester; full-time students begin in the fall each year.
Both during your Vanderbilt e-Learning experience through a practicum in your home area and upon graduation and certification, a variety of clinical and business settings will be available to you:
- Nurse-Managed Clinics
- Managed Care Firms
- Community-Based Clinics
- Ambulatory Care Centers
- Data Management Firms
- Practice Management Organizations
- Corporate Organizations
Due to State Boards of Nursing and/or State Higher Educational rules, the School may not be able to provide clinical placements in your location of choice, but every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate your placement request.
How Will Vanderbilt Prepare You?
Vanderbilt School of Nursing is a world leader in producing top nursing executives in the health care field. Through this e-Learning program, you will be prepared to manage the delivery of nursing and health care services across multiple settings and specialty areas. You will gain the breadth of management knowledge and skills needed to perform effectively and assume leadership positions in health care delivery organizations.
You will learn to:
- Define, implement and maintain standards for quality patient care;
- Develop, manage and evaluate work teams;
- Implement processes and programs to achieve financial targets and maintain fiscal accountability;
- Implement processes and programs to achieve continual improvement in care delivery;
- Develop, performance counsel, and evaluate assigned staff;
- Mentor staff to boost individual and team performance and competency;
- Collaborate effectively across disciplines and health care settings to enhance integration of services and care delivery;
- Facilitate clear communication of expectations and accountabilities to assigned staff;
- Demonstrate collaborative problem solving abilities;
- Innovate, implement, and manage change;
- Engage support from supervisors, subordinates and peers in meeting organizational goals;
- Balance strategic, financial, operational, quality and interpersonal responsibilities;
- Participate in research.
The Healthcare Leadership program offers numerous advantages over other business or health care administration degree programs. These advantages include:
- An online learning environment dedicated to nursing professionals and flexible to support all types of professional work schedules.
- A learning environment with students comprised of nursing professionals from a diverse variety of nursing experience and backgrounds.
- A team of Vanderbilt University dedicated Healthcare Leadership faculty that represent a combined 150 years of nursing clinical, executive leadership and educational experience in private and public healthcare settings.
- A curriculum that is based on current, relevant nursing practice and challenges you to work as an individual and as a group member to critically analyze, evaluate, and develop solutions in response to emerging trends and issues in nursing practice and healthcare.
- A curriculum that leverages clinical practicum experiences with successful, nationally recognized executive nursing leaders in a variety of quality healthcare systems.
- A curriculum that specifically focuses on the impact of national, state and local healthcare policy and financing on nursing practice
- A curriculum that supports and applies the integration of case studies and analysis based on real world nursing practice scenarios.
- A program that successfully links technology with learning while embracing cultural and academic diversity.